The new year offers an opportunity for a fresh start, and this year, expectations are different than we’ve ever seen. With 2020 in the past, and good riddance, we are looking at 2021 with a different lens. Times have been dark for many, particularly in healthcare, and while this will continue for a time, we can have HOPE for improvement in the future.
You may be feeling loneliness, sadness, anger, anxiety, stress and burnout at this time. Just remember – these are normal human reactions in abnormal times. With so many challenges outside of our control, focus on what you can control and remind yourself, this is only temporary. Keep your eyes toward the future. To feel your best and be at your best, it’s important to take care of yourself and assess where you are at on your own well being journey.
We believe achieving a greater sense of well being requires you to look at yourself holistically, and we encourage you to look at each dimension of your well being in the new year.
Reflect on each area (dimension) of your well being. Where are you strongest? Where can you make improvements? All areas of well being are interrelated, and supporting each dimension will result in a better sense of well being. Here are some tips to help you achieve a greater sense of well being in the new year.
Emotional Well Being
- Acknowledge and accept difficult emotions. Pushing feelings down takes energy and can lead to unhealthy coping. Release your feelings through conversation, journaling, physical activity or creative expression.
Professional Well Being
- Talk with a peer – either in your facility or with VITAL WorkLife, such as a coach or counselor. Get feedback and ask for input to help you perform better and up your expectations. These discussions help normalize what is going on externally with your profession to help you feel good about what you are doing.
Relational Well Being
- Express gratitude and appreciation to your family and colleagues. Doing so can improve your own mood and perspective, as well as your relationships. Reach out to one person each day to let them know you appreciate them. You’ll find doing this fills your cup and theirs!
Physical Well Being
- Use the new year to start an exercise routine, or if you already have one, do not abandon your routine. One of the best ways to combat stress is to get regular exercise. Not sure what to do? Try heading outside for a brisk, half hour walk each day. Working an extra long shift? Take a few minutes whenever you can to stretch , drink a glass of water or even go for a 5 or 10 minute walk. Helping your body be it’s best will make you feel your best.
Spiritual Well Being
- Maintaining spiritual well being throughout the year means knowing what’s right for you and following that path. Listen to the whispers of your heart and follow them. Try practicing mindfulness or meditation. Even 10 minutes of mindfulness a day can help calm your mind.
Financial/Legal Well Being
- Set a budget for 2021 and stick to it. Be comfortable with your finances to help remove these stressors from always being in the back of your mind. Worried about the financial well being of your family? Stressed about your medical school loans? Use your VITAL WorkLife resources to talk with a financial counselor and come up with a plan, or create a simple will to make sure your wishes are followed and those you love most are taken care of.
We Can Help
If you or a loved one is struggling, don’t hesitate to seek support! This year will continue to be different, but remember to have hope for the future. We are here to support you through it in any way we can. Whether its scheduling a virtual peer coaching or counseling session or connecting you with a financial consultation to support your financial well being, we are here to help!
Physician Well Being Resources members: Access your resources by calling us at 877.731.3949 or connect through the VITAL WorkLife App.