Nearly 100% of American adults think suicide can be prevented1, but often don’t know where to start or how to support someone with such a personal and sensitive concern. And there’s the ever-looming question; what if you push them further from help? To help you prevent suicide, separate myth from fact and become an advocate for someone in need, we pulled together great resources you might find useful.
Below are resources, grouped by topics, to help you to learn more and #BeThe1To ask, be there, keep them safe, help them connect and follow up.
Immediate Crisis Services
Are you or someone you know in crisis? You are not alone, and help is available.
- 24/7 Crisis Hotline: 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline org, call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org.Veterans, press 1 when calling.
- Crisis Text Line; Text TALK to 741-741 to text with a trained crisis counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7
- Veterans Crisis Line Send a text to 838255
- Call 866.488.7386, text START to 678-678 with The Trevor Project (for LGBTQ youth)
- Also visit your:
- Primary care provider
- Local psychiatric hospital
- Local walk-in clinic
- Local emergency department
- Local urgent care center
- Outside of the U.S., visit Find a Helpline.
For General Information on Suicide
- Healing the Healer Article
- To Save a Physician: Free eBook
- National Physician Suicide Awareness Day
- Webinar with Betsy Gall: One Family’s Unthinkable Story of Physician Suicide
- Suicide Prevention Resources from NPSA
- A Personal Story of Suicidality and Survival with Dr. Loice Swisher
We Can Help
Whether you are feeling overwhelmed with the stressors of life or struggling to find the right way to support a friend or family member in need, VITAL WorkLife is here to help. We have numerous resources supporting every aspect of your well being, from in-the-moment telephonic counseling to peer coaching. We are available day and night at: 800.383.1908 for EAP Clients; 877.731.3949 for Physician Well Being Resource Clients to support you and those you care about.
If you’re thinking about suicide, are worried about a friend or loved one or would like emotional support, the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is available 24/7 across the United States. Call or Text 9-8-8 or CLICK HERE TO CHAT with a counselor.