Mindful breathing is one of the simplest forms of meditation, and one of the best ways to practice living in the present moment.
Training your mind to focus on one thing (your breathing) without bouncing from one thought to the next is a great way to manage stress, calm your mind and improve your overall well being!
One of the many benefits of mindfulness meditation is it helps promote a good nights sleep, in addition to lowering your resting heart rate and blood pressure.Practicing mindful breathing (or some form of meditation) has also been shown to reduce stress and anxiety, reduce negative emotions and sharpen your concentration skills.
The best part, it only take five minutes and can be done almost anywhere. Take five minutes today on your lunch break or right before you head home to practice this simple mindful breathing exercise.
Simple Instructions for Practicing Mindful Breathing:
- Sit quietly or lie down, close your eyes and mouth and put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach.
- Breathe only through your nose while focusing your attention on keeping your chest still while your abdomen rises and falls with each breath, breathing the minimal amount necessary.
- Feel the rising and falling of your abdomen, noticing any thoughts, physical sensations or emotions that arise in your mind.
- Let your thoughts, sensations and emotions pass by, using your breathing as an anchor to focus on. You may find your mind wanders, distracted by your thoughts. That’s okay, just notice this is happening and gently bring your attention back to your breathing.
Or, you can try this five minute guided meditation. You can also learn more about the powerful secret of your breath and how mindfulness and meditation help fulfill your potential.
We Can Help
Our peer coaches and senior consultant can assist you in finding efficient ways to build mindfulness into your daily life. We have solutions designed specifically for physicians and the organizations who employ them, including peer coaching, WorkLife Concierge and more. To learn more about our physician and provider solutions, visit https://vitalworklife.com/forphysicians/.
If you are a member of one of our solutions, give us a call if you need help; we’re available anytime, day or night.
- EAP members: call 800.383.1908
- Physician and Provider Well Being Resources members: call 877.731.3949
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Give us a call at 877.731.3949 or visit VITALWorkLife.com to learn more about our unique well being solutions designed specifically for physicians and providers.