Educator Peer Coaching and counseling are supportive resources for educators.
With school systems providing in-person, partly in-person (hybrid) or distance learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to the many unknowns about the future, several teachers have expressed to me their concerns about this school year and need to make extremely difficult decisions very quickly. So, what's a teacher to do?
We all seem to agree that the most vulnerable, those over 65 years of age and/or with underlying health problems, need to be the most careful. But we are each responsible for our own health. That leaves us making individual decisions and accepting individual responsibility for our well being.
If you are worried about this school year, I highly encourage you to seek help from your VITAL WorkLife EAP, which offers counseling and Educator Peer Coaching sessions. Using these resources is a wonderful way to process your emotions. This kind of processing is a healthy alternative to otherwise repressing or emotionally stuffing our concerns or, even worse, using alcohol or other drugs to temporarily self soothe. Here are some additional tips to keep in mind as the school year starts and progresses.
Tips for Educators to Help Ease Stress:
- Talk; vent your emotions in a healthy way.
- Aerobic exercise like a brisk walk for 10 or 15 minutes per day. This pumps up the endorphins in your brain to fight depression/anxiety, reduce pain, boost your mood and energy.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs. They may seem to give temporary relief, but they actually increase anxiety and depression.
- Take a clarity break each day to focus on yourself.
- Call the caring professionals at VITAL WorkLife. After all, if you had a toothache, you’d call a dentist — just think of us as “mental floss!”
We Can Help
Your VITAL WorkLife EAP offers in-the-moment behavioral health support, as well as face-to-face or virtual counseling and coaching resources. Educator Peer Coaching allows you to speak with someone who understands your field and can help guide you through these difficult times. Access these resources through your VITAL WorkLife App or call 800.383.1908.