Characteristics of Healthy Relationships
To have overall holistic well being, it is important to have well being in the Relational dimension. How many of the following attitudes and behaviors are present in your relationships?
- Communication is open and spontaneous (including listening)
- Rules/boundaries are clear and explicit, yet allow flexibility
- Individuality, freedom and personal identity is enhanced
- Each enjoys doing things for self, as well as for the other person
- Play, humor and having fun together are commonplace
- Acceptance of self and other (for real selves)
- Assertiveness: feelings and needs are expressed
- Humility: able to let go of need to “be right”
- Self-confidence and security in own worth
- Conflict is faced directly and resolved
- Openness to constructive feedback
- Each is trustful of the other
- Balance of giving and receiving
- Negotiations are fair and democratic
- Tolerance and forgiveness of self and the other person
- Mistakes are accepted and learned from
- Willingness to take risks and be vulnerable
- Other meaningful relationships and interests exist
- Each can enjoy being alone and privacy is respected
- Continuity and consistency is present in the commitment
- Balance of oneness (closeness) and separation for each other
- Responsibility for own behaviors and happiness (not blaming the other person)
Want to learn more? Here's a great video on what makes for a good life based on the longest Happiness study ever conducted. Spoiler alert: the answer has to do with the quality of your relationships!
We can help.
VITAL WorkLife is a valuable resource to help you and your family achieve a healthy, balanced lifestyle. If you need additional assistance, please give us a call so we can connect you with a counselor or peer coach who understands and can help you address your questions.
Call VITAL WorkLife 24x7x365 for the support you and your loved ones need.
EAP members call 800.383.1908
Physicians/Provider Wellness Resources members call 877.731.3949
About VITAL WorkLife
VITAL WorkLife, Inc.™ is a national behavioral health consulting company providing support to individuals facing life’s challenges, while also assisting organizations in improving workplace productivity. This approach of helping employees and their families, while also guiding organizations, builds healthy, sustainable behaviors. For over 30 years, we have offered industry leading Employee Assistance Programs, specialized support, training and consulting for a wide variety of industries.